Employment is with The Research Foundation for The State University of New York, a private, nonprofit, educational corporation that administers sponsored program activity for SUNY Cobleskill.
Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000
Position Overview: The Research Foundation for The State University of New York State is seeking a Plant Manager to coordinate and oversee all production activities within the Dairy Processing Facility at SUNY Cobleskill. With expected completion in 2017, SUNY Cobleskill’s Dairy Processing Facility will be used as: a teaching facility through which SUNY Cobleskill students will take courses in dairy processing technology, product development and sanitation and will produce fluid milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream products using milk produced within the College’s dairy program; a workforce training facility through which adult learners, entrepreneurs and others will have access to a wide variety of workshop and certificate-bearing programming; a shared processing space for clients of the Mohawk Valley Farm & Food Business Incubator, who will have access to the facility’s equipment and personnel for small-batch production of value-added dairy products. The Plant Manager will be responsible for facility supervision and as such will serve as the responsible party for NYS Department of Agriculture & Markets regulatory compliance. The Dairy Processing Facility will utilize both vat and HTST pasteurization technologies. This is a full-time position, renewable annually based on performance and program funding.
Description of Duties:
- Work closely with Incubator Program Coordinator, SUNY Cobleskill’s food retail facility manager and SUNY Cobleskill’s Farm Coordinator to schedule weekly production activities within the Dairy Processing Facility
- Supervise and/or conduct all production and sanitation activities within the Dairy Processing Facility
- Monitor and report Facility maintenance needs
- Teach one credit-bearing course per year in Dairy Processing Technology to undergraduate students enrolled in Food Systems, Animal Science, Culinary Arts and other programs
- Supervise/mentor Incubator clients using the facility’s equipment to produce value-added dairy products
- Complete all required regulatory reporting processes
- Contribute to decisions regarding facility layout and process engineering during construction/installation
- Work closely with SUNY Cobleskill’s PACE office and Cornell Cooperative Extension to schedule workforce training/certificate-bearing programming in the facility
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma and five years experience in a similar position within a dairy processing facility. Strong organizational and communication skills. Ability to work independently as well as with team members; self-starter. Extensive knowledge of food processing sanitation procedures and dairy processing operations and technology. Experience with regulatory and compulsory testing protocol and reporting in a dairy processing context. Knowledge of best practices for producing high-quality, small batch value-added dairy products including bottled whole milk, yogurt, cheese and ice cream; Ability to perform basic day-to-day maintenance on dairy processing equipment
Preferred Qualifications:. Associates or Bachelors degree in Food Science, Dairy Production, Agricultural Engineering or a related field; extensive experience in artisanal cheese production; HACCP certification; experience with planning processing facility layout and procedures
Persons interested in the above position should submit a resume, three work-related references, along with a letter of application to:
Research Foundation - SUNY Cobleskill
Attn: Rebecca Yung
Warner Hall Rm 206, 192 Albany Avenue
Cobleskill, NY 12043.
Closing date for receipt of applications: July 15, 2017