Interested in starting up a value-added grain enterprise? Or are you growing or processing grains and could benefit from up-to-date, field-tested information on further developing a profitable grains enterprise? Join Walter Riesen and Tianna Kennedy of Star Route Farms and Dr. Elizabeth Dyck of OGRIN for an intensive workshop on value-added grains. Star Route Farms will share their recent experience with growing, processing, and marketing the ancient wheat emmer. Elizabeth will summarize eight years of research with farmers in the region on developing a locally grown grains economy. The workshop will also include a tasting of products made with ancient and heritage wheats, rye, and other grains.
Discussion will include:
- critical management practices & basic equipment needed for high quality grain production
- demo seed-cleaning and dehulling ancient grains using the newly developed, low-cost Stutzman/Stauffer dehuller
- survey other processing options that add value to grains
- discuss current markets, marketing strategies, and prices
- work through the costs and potential profits of value-added grain production
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL CADE EVENTS.